Monday 8 July 2019

Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag!


We have made it half way through the year so we can now freak out about how quickly time passes and how little time we have to achieve all we wanted!... (That might just be me).
Truthfully though, in terms of books, I'm feeling good. Of course I have a monstrous TBR, but we shook hands and came to the agreement that if I keep reading, I can keep feeding it more books.

I have read 32 books so far this year meaning that I have surpassed my reading challenge! At the beginning of the year due to lack of self motivation and all other fun mental health stuff, I was barely reading anything, so I set my reading challenge pretty low. I had considered raising it when I got back into reading, but I'll take any overachieving I can get and look at me go!!

Today, I'll be doing the Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag to reflect on the books I've read so far this year. I feel like the books I've been reading have been predominantly pretty good this year. When looking for the questions for this tag, I found numerous variations of the questions and wasn't sure which were the original, so if I don't answer any that you want to know, let me know in the comments!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. What's the best book you've read so far in 2019?


Renegades by Marissa Meyer
I have never been into superheroes. All that Marvel/DC stuff? No. I just don't like the concept of these randomly gifted people having so much more power over everyone else.
Surprisingly, I really loved this book! I love how the series questions these powers and whether they really were for the good of the people. I also loved the characters and that their powers were really fresh and unique.
(Honourable mention: All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman)

2. What's the best sequel you've read so far in 2019?


Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi
I found this question quite hard as recently I have been really bad at continuing series. I don't know why but I just sort of stop after the first book. I am also trying not to repeat the same books/series in this tag.
I read Persepolis 1 & 2 back to back so the story just felt like it continued nicely. These books are easy to read and I like Satrapi's writing style. I also believe that these books really enlightened me on some subjects that I knew little about and feel like it was quite an important duology for me to read.
(Honourable mention: Archenemies by Marissa Meyer)




3. What's a new release you haven't read yet, but want to?

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I have heard so many good things about this book! I am also in the perfect mood for the genre so I really want to pick up this book soon!
(Honourable mention: Enchantée by Gita Trelease)




4. What's your most anticipated release for the second half of the year?

I don't know! I know it's very unlike me but I'm more excited about books that are already released at the moment! As I haven't continued any series recently, I don't have the anticipation of a series finale or anything like that.


5. What's your biggest disappointment of the year so far?


All That She Can See by Carrie Hope Fletcher
I love Carrie Hope Fletcher and I was looking forward to immersing myself in every creative aspect of her life. Unfortunately I just didn't get on with this book.
The book literally felt like two different stories. Half way through, something happens and the events of the book change and it just feels like the book suddenly has a whole new focus. This can be done well, but it just wasn't working for me.
(Honourable mention: Teen Angst? Naaah... by Ned Vizzini)




6. What's your biggest surprise of the year?

All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman
I adore this book. It was the sweetest book to read and left me feeling so happy. It just reminded me how human we are and I can not stop recommending this book to everyone!
I went into this book knowing very little about it and ended up reading it in one sitting by the sea.
(Honourable mention: Renegades by Marissa Meyer)


7. Who's your favourite new author? (debut or new to you)



Holly Jackson (A Good Girl's Guide To Murder)
This book was so clever and the plot was so fast-paced and intricate. I can't believe this is her debut novel! I can not wait to see what else she writes as I love her style.
As soon as I finished this book I passed it on to my Grandma to read as she was intrigued when I bought it and said she'd like to read it if it was any good! We'll see what she thinks of it!
(Honourable mention: C. J. Tudor - The Chalk Man)



8. Who's your new fictional crush?

I don't know again! I remember when I was younger I got so attached to characters, but I haven't had that recently! I really liked Sketch from Renegades by Marissa Meyer but I don't feel that attached to him that I'd call it a crush.
No, I'm not just saying this because my boyfriend reads my blog haha!

9. Who's your new favourite character?

Eliza (Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia)
I related to Eliza so so much!  From the anxiety, the creativity, the imagination, the search for belonging and the safe person to run to, Eliza reminds me so much of myself.
Zappia consistently creates characters who have so many different layers to them and who I am fully prepared to get emotionally invested in!!
(Honourable mention: Pippa from A Good Girl's Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson)


10. What book made you cry?


We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
I know it's not the first time I've read this book... or second time... but third time round it still makes me cry okay?
It will forever amaze me how so many emotions and such a clever plot can fit into such a short book!
(Honourable mention: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood)





11. What book made you happy?

Everybody's Talking About Jamie by Tom MacRae and Dan Gillepsie Sells
Are we counting this as a book? I do, but it's technically just a script. Well, my blog, my rules - it counts.
This musical makes me happy every time I hear or read it. The positivity it promotes is infectious! Jamie is one of the most lovable people and the whole musical is so positive as well as being funny while raising awareness of important topics.
(Honourable mention: All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman)


12. What's the most beautiful book you've bought this year?


All of them??
Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare
I swear the covers of Cassandra Clare's books are getting more stunning with each new release!
The Dark Artifices series in particular, are especially stunning in my opinion. I still think that the Infernal Devices original covers take the lead though.
(Honourable mention: Adultolescence by Gabbie Hanna)




13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

I really desperately need to catch up on Cassandra Clare's endless releases!
Oh and you know, the other hundreds of books on my TBR!

14. What's your reading goal for the rest of the year?

I added this question in as I have met my Goodreads reading goal and want to challenge myself further (also I didn't like ending on 13 questions).
My new reading goal is to read more books than Chloe from Forever Fictional. Might sound weird, but she always beats me and this year I am going to try my hardest not to let her win!! 
Chloe, I wasn't going to tell you but I decided that it would be unfair, so I am now challenging you. Bring on the competition! You are currently 4 books ahead of me but I'll get there!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That's it for this tag. I had fun reflecting on all the books I read this year and hopefully I have recommended a few that I don't repeat constantly on this blog!

Kaitlin

5 comments:

  1. "All that Marvel/DC stuff? No. I just don't like the concept of these randomly gifted people having so much more power over everyone else." *cough, cough* Harry Potter, *cough, cough* Fantastic Beasts :P

    Also, is it still an honourable mention if it is for the biggest disappointment :P

    Well, looks like I have even more competition now, dang.

    I hope you win the book reading competition with Chloe... unless I win!!! hahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare you!

    I have to give it some credit that it's not the worst.

    Nuuuu

    BRING IT ON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! If you're gonna knock superheroes for having powers, I am going to knock wizards and witches for having powers. I see no difference :P

      Good point ;)

      *sniff*

      Haha (whimpers)

      Delete
  3. You have no idea what you've just started :P But, actually, you've got a good shot winning because I'm in a massive reading slump! All I'm doing is watching TV and writing recently so you'll definitely make me step up my game. Are you sure I can't add another dozen onto my reading count due to the fact I've read my manuscript a billion times already this year? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I was waiting for you reaction!!
      Well I've been at work so much recently that I've barely touched a book so there is still hope.
      No! That's cheating!

      Delete